Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Teen Mom Trend


                    Teen pregnancy has become a hot-button issue that seems to be evolving into a glorified epidemic.
                  With TV shows like MTV’s “16 and Pregnant” and “Teen Mom” putting high school-aged pregnant and parenting girls in the spotlight, the issue of teen pregnancy not only seems to be running more rampant, but also becoming more acceptable.
                  However, one may be shocked to find out that according to the Guttmacher Institute-- an independent, nonprofit organization that focuses on sexual and reproductive health--teen pregnancy is at its lowest level in nearly 40 years. Perhaps then it is the media giving viewers a glimpse into the lives of these pregnant and parenting teens that makes it seem like the issue of teen pregnancy is becoming more prevalent than ever.
Union High School counselor, Mike Roark, points out family
living and child development class options in the school's
course offerings catalog in Tulsa, Okla., on Friday, Feb. 17, 2012.
                  According to guttmacher.org, Oklahoma has the seventh highest rate of teenagers who give birth in the country. Mike Roark, a counselor at Union High School in Tulsa, said he has seen the number of pregnant students fluctuate throughout his 17-year-long career.
                  “I don’t necessarily believe that the number of pregnant girls I see in my school has increased dramatically over the past couple of years. Some years I only see one or two, and other years it’s more. But it’s more of a pattern that comes and goes in waves,” Roark said.
                  According to Roark, Hispanics make up the majority of pregnant teens at Union High School. Blacks and whites make up the rest for the most part, and are about equal to each other.
               “I believe the reason for this is because it is more acceptable in the Hispanic culture to start thinking about having children and getting married at a much younger age,” Roark stated.
                  Courtney Roach, a now 24-year-old married mother of two, knows all too well about the hardships of being a teen mom.
                  “I became pregnant at 15. I was in complete shock and denial. I hid the fact that I was pregnant from everyone except my boyfriend for four months. When I finally told my mom, she kicked me out of the house and pretty much abandoned me until my baby was about 2 months old,” Roach said.
                  When asked about their opinions on the TV shows “16 and Pregnant” and “Teen Mom,” neither Roark nor Roach had positive things to say.
                  “Girls these days might watch these shows and think, ‘That’s an easy way to get on TV and make money,’ and do something completely life changing for all the wrong reasons,“ Roark said.
                  “I absolutely can’t stand those shows,” Roach said. “They glorify the stereotype of being a teen mom.”             
                  When it comes to the issue of preventing teen pregnancy, education is the key.
                  “You’d be so shocked to hear all of the crazy questions I get from students about sex. It blows my mind how they listen to the stupid advice and tips they get from their friends, who also know nothing about what they are talking about,” Roark said.
                  “I think the best way to educate kids on safe sex is to basically scare them to death. They need to have it drilled into their minds that it only takes one time. That‘s how many times it took me before I found myself pregnant--just once,“ Roach stated.
                  Educating our youth on safe sex is critical to the reduction of teen pregnancy. The only sure-fire way to prevent pregnancy is abstinence. However, schools do not necessarily feel comfortable with the notion of preaching a moral issue to students.
                  “Unfortunately, kids are going to do what they’re going to do, so we need to educate them on safe sex and protecting themselves,” Roark said. “They can’t really grasp the concept that if you play with fire, it’s not a matter of if you’re going to get burned--it’s just a matter of when.”
                  For more information and statistics on sexual health, visit the Guttmacher Institute’s website at www.guttmacher.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment